This website is currently under construction.
For more information and details, visit our Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/kahuluihongwanji)
Message from Bishop Eric Matsumoto – “2017 Legislative Assembly Special Presentation on ‘Becoming A More Dharma-centered Organization'”
Located in KHM Blog
Dates to Remember
- July 6 MBC Obon Cemetery Service
- July 9 General clean-up before Obon
- July 14-15 KHM Obon
- July 16 General clean-up after Obon
- July 17 Maui BSC Summer Session at KHM
- July 23 Obon Mairi/Family Gratitude Service
- July 30 KHM Board Sunday – Presentation on eye care by Dr. Makin
Sunday Service Responsibilities
- July 2 Coffee Hour Sunday
- July 9 (no service – clean-up before Obon)
- July 16 (no service – clean-up after Obon)
- July 23 BWA – Obon Mairi/Family Gratitude Service
- July 30 KHM Board
Jodo Shinshu in the Land of Shakyamuni
The BSC Summer Session will be streamed on YouTube.
Please follow the BSC YouTube page at:
The 2017 Summer Session will be July 10-14 with Rev. Sonam Wangdi Bhutia, head minister of the Hongwanji Buddhist Society, Nepal, Kathmandu-Hongwanji, the first Jodo Shinshu temple in the “Land of Shakyamuni Buddha’s birth.” Lectures, discussion, and fellowship will take place over the course of five successive evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the Buddhist Study Center.
Raised from the age of three to be a monk in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition and advancing to the highest ranks, Rev. Sonam, at age 28, encountered Jodo Shinshu, a Japanese Pure Land tradition.
His path eventually led to the founding of Nepal’s first Hongwanji temple and a thriving new Buddhist community in Kathmandu. Hear his dramatic personal journey and how the story of the Buddha is resonating today with young adults in the birthplace of Shakyamuni.
Rev. Sonam will be speaking on his life as a Tibetan Monk, His encounter with Hiromichi Mukaibo & Shin Buddhism, the Development of Kathmandu Hongwanji, his Spiritual Journey, and the Hongwanji’s Earthquake Relief Efforts. Rev. Sonam will also be speaking at several other temples throughout the Honpa Hongwanji Mission during his stay in Hawaii.
Hosha means to give or help as an expression of one’s gratitude. In the spirit of hosha, let’s all come together to work at keeping the temple and facilities in tip-top shape.
- Sunday, July 9, 8 a.m. (pre-Obon), with window cleaning
- Sunday, July 16, 8 a.m. (post-Obon)
- Saturday, July 22, 7:30 a.m.
(please see calendar for exceptions):
- Join us Sundays at 8:15 for a 25-minute quiet sitting meditation preceding the Family Service.
- Each 4th Sunday Family Service includes a special remembrance for departed loved ones.
- Chanting, dharma discussion & coffee: Mondays 8:30-10 a.m., KHM temple.
- Ko Group Dharma discussions: 2nd & 4th Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-noon.
- Sing & Strum Along with Patsy: Fridays, 8:30 a.m., KHM Lumbini Hall.
- Tai-Chi: Mondays & Thursdays, 5:30 p.m.