- Please join us on Saturday, November
11 at 8:30 a.m. for a special bell ringing as Kahului Hongwanji
joins together with many churches throughout Hawaii in celebrating
the memory of Her Majesty Queen Liliʻuokalani upon the 100th
Anniversary of her passing. According to Bishop Eric Matsumoto,
who has requested Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii temples to
participate, Her Majesty Queen Liliʻuokalani “kindly graced us
(HHMH) with her presence in 1901 as she attended the Gotan-E
Service with Mary Foster at the invitation of Bishop Yemyo
Imamura. Her attending Gotan-E Service at the Fort Street Temple
[in Honolulu] had enormous impact on our future (at that time). It
was a challenging time for Buddhists back in the early 1900’s, but
Her attendance made headlines in newspapers around the world
and thus Hawaii Buddhists were highly encouraged and inspired by
her gesture of support of attending a Buddhist service. Thus, in
gratitude, may I ask that, if at all possible, your temple bell/kansho
(or any other bell) be rung on November 11, 2017, at 8:30 a,m. in
her honor.” Please join us that morning at KHM for a brief ceremony
and bell ringing.
- Kahului Hongwanji’s Winter Fest – Delightful Treasures
Saturday, December 9, 2017, 7:30 – 11:30 a.m.
The “KHM Winter Fest – Delightful Treasures” will
feature handcrafted items, baked goods, prepared food for
on-site consumption and takeout, collectibles and gently
used household goods and warm clothing.
Flu shots by Walgreens will be available.
Crafters are encouraged to join the event and all items
handcrafted in Hawaii are welcome. Contact the KHM office
at 871-4732 for information.
Please call the temple office if you have any questions.
Dates to Remember
- Nov 4 MUBWA Fall General Assembly at Makawao Hongwanji Mission
- Nov 10-12 Maui District Nembutsu Seminar at Makawao Hongwanji Mission
- Nov 11 Bell ringing at KHM to honor Queen Liliʻuokalani
Sunday Service Responsibilities
- Nov 5 Coffee Hour Sunday
- Nov 12 No Family Service at KHM
(Maui District Nembutsu Seminar at MHM)
- Nov 19 Kyodan
- Nov 26 Dharma School/Jr. YBA – Eitaikyo & Family Gratitude Service
Hosha means to give or help as an expression of one’s gratitude. In the spirit of hosha, let’s all come together to work at keeping the temple and facilities in tip-top shape.
- Saturday, November 11, 7:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 25, 7:30 a.m., no window cleaning
(please see calendar for exceptions):
- Join us Sundays at 8:15 for a 25-minute quiet sitting meditation preceding the Family Service.
- Each 4th Sunday Family Service includes a special remembrance for departed loved ones.
- Chanting, dharma discussion & coffee: Mondays 8:30-10 a.m., KHM temple.
- Ko Group Dharma discussions: 2nd & 4th Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-noon.
- Sing & Strum Along with Patsy: Fridays, 8:30 a.m., KHM Lumbini Hall.
- Tai-Chi: Mondays & Thursdays, 5:30 p.m.