Kahului Hongwanji Buddhist Temple’s purpose is as follows:
- Establish and maintain the Temple as the principal place of spiritual enrichment and the center for all of its activities.
- Conduct religious ceremonies, practices and related activities for the understanding, propagation and appreciation of the principles of Buddhism based on the teachings of the Jodo Shinshu denomination.
- Plan, direct, program and implement all of its activities and functions toward the propagation and realization of the principles of Buddhism based on the teachings of the Jodo Shinshu denomination.
- Encourage and preserve the harmonious and cooperative fellowship, understanding and unity among the members of the Temple and the members of the various affiliated organizations.
- Work toward the promotion and improvement of the general welfare of the community.